As usual, I have been distracted from my main project(s) - but I couldn't resist taking advantage of some days at home in order to dye and card some blended bats.
I started with some white carded wool of unknown breed. I'm not that impressed with it - it's very short stapled and feels rather over-processed. First I dyed the five 25g rovings with Landscape dyes:
Once they were rinsed and dried I carded each one and then started to blend the colours. I should really have dyed in primary colours, I realised as soon as I got started. All the colours I chose - light green, dark green, orange, violet and magenta - are secondary colours, that is they're already mixtures of two colours (i.e. blue and yellow make green, etc.). Thus when you mix them again you're actually mixing several colours together and there's always the danger that you'll just end up with brown. Anyway, I managed to avoid that:
I have divided each little bat into two mini bats so that I can spin two nearly identical singles for plying together.
I laid them out in the order I intended to spin, but I've already gone wrong! Never mind, I can do a bit of judicious breaking and splicing when I come to ply them together. I have spun half of them up and should be able to do the rest and the plying tomorrow. The wool, being short-stapled and soft, didn't card terribly evenly and I am ending up with quite a tweedy yarn, which is fine by me. I intend to weave it into a simple scarf.