At the risk of boring the non-spinners, here are the results of my recent experiments in dyeing, carding, blending and spinning. The wool is 'Kent lambswool'. I'm not sure if this is Romney or not. It's fairly soft, but not soft enough to make a nice scarf, in my opinion.
First, the striped. I blended the batts, divided them in two so I'd have two repeats of each colour and spun with a long draw. Then I chain (Navajo) plyed so that the colours remained unmixed. This is therefore a three-ply yarn. I intended it for socks but I don't think it's really strong enough. I abandoned the third skein (not shown) half way through because the singles kept breaking as I was plying. Pretty colours, though!
I dyed the second lot in brighter colours and, as I explained in the last post, I made layered batts in two sets: reds/pinks and blue/green, each with a contrast of yellow/green. Here's the pinky red skein. I decided to spin this as thick singles and not to ply. It looks plied because the layering of colours in the batts is maintained as you spin and you get the barber-pole effect.
I think this will probably end up as fingerless mittens - I tried it as a little lace cowl/scarf but I think it's just a bit tickly.
I have been knitting as well. I'm making a scarf from the Woodland Shawl pattern. Pics soon.